Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Roaming Gnome

Road Trip From the Atlantic to the Pacific


So I finally made it home from Virginia. I flew out there so the trip was relatively quick, but my plans were to drive our new car home... yes that is all the way from Virginia Beach to California. So as my sister and I started our trip westward I had no idea the crazy things we would see along the way.

We tried to stop at least once each day (for 5 days) to see something neat, be it a landmark or just a cool restaurant so that the drive didnt seem so endless. We called this our daily landmark, or fun spot. Along the way we stopped at a castle in West Virginia, Johnny Appleseeds grave site in Indiana, Our other sister in Iowa (who is currently there for the Americorps program), A Pyramid in Wyoming, My hometown birth place in Wyoming (which I havent been to since I was two weeks old) and much much more.

As we went to each place and took pictures we propped up our little gnome statue, Sir Peter Gnomey (names after a bunny rabbit we saw at the first stop) somewhere in each place. This made for an interesting wheres waldo effect, and gave us something to laugh about along the way.
During our drive through Nebraska, we hit crazy thunderstorms like I have never seen before. It was like something out of a scary movie, HUGE lightening bolts flashed across the sky and deep rolling thunder over the flat plains... soon we heard a severe tornado warning come across the radio and begged people to get off the streets immediately and into a safe first story building. Since it was two in the morning we decided stopping at the next motel would probably be the best idea anyway and get some good sleep for the next days drive, so we stopped in a little town right in the middle of Nebraska.

As we pulled in the tiny town seemed almost eerily quiet. There were no cars in the streets and nothing was open except for the motel straight ahead. So as we checked in and started to unpack the we started hearing this loud siren blaring through the quiet little town, just like the one out of silent hill. Turns out they used that same sound as the movies to warn for tornado's, and basically shut the town down in the process. While that siren is on no one is allowed outside (even the mc donalds drive through closes up). Creepy!

Overall though my sister and I, oh and how could I forget Sir Peter, all had a great time seeing each state from our car windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment